Monday, February 8, 2010

The Modern Quilting Question

The Modern Quilt Guild just posted this question: What does modern quilting mean to you?


Hmmm … I feel like I don’t have the right to even try and answer that question since I’ve only been quilting for roughly seven months. But then again maybe I will because I already feel like I’m part of a large community of people who love the creativity and the freedom of modern quilting. Also, part of the reason I wanted to start a blog is so I could get involved in fun things like this!


To me part of the joy of quilting is that I’m creating something useful and lasting for my loved ones. My quilts are really a part of who I am because I used my own eye and intuition of how I want the final outcome to look based on the intended recipient. Being flexible can make the quilts seem more like some sort of entity with it's own personality emerging. Sometimes I'll look at all my squares as I'm arranging and rearranging and thinking about sashing and I say, "what are you finally going to end up like little quilt?"


I can also use some non-traditional quilt sewing, such as making my seam allowance a tad bigger than ¼”. I want my quilts to be used and rolled around on the floor in and wadded up in a bed and then washed and washed and washed. I’ve raised three boys and delicate, gentle and “use with care” are just not in my vocabulary anymore. No one is shocked or aghast that I'm not following the rules (are you??? I hope not).


The whole virtual community of quilters I've encountered are the nicest, friendliest, most generous, helpful, extremely talented group of people I've ever encountered. I've learned all of my quilting skills and methods solely from these people on the internet. Maybe the technology is part of what makes this "modern" quilting.

2 comments:

  1. "My quilts are really a part of who I am because I used my own eye and intuition of how I want the final outcome to look based on the intended recipient. Being flexible can make the quilts seem more like some sort of entity with it's own personality emerging."

    Well said, and I totally agree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! I love the quote Victoria pulled out. I also wholeheartedly agree with the comments about technology.

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E. comments! Due to a recent spam attack I've changed my settings to exclude anonymous commenters. I hope this doesn't affect any real people out there, but if so please feel free to email me.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...