Sunday, September 12, 2010

Camper Quilt

My niece Lisa and her family just love, love, love to camp.  In fact, you can never find them at their house on the weekends spring through fall.  Last year when I first forayed into online fabric shops I found the Michael Miller vintage camper line.  I was so excited I threw a half yard of each fabric into my cart and purchased them that day even though I didn't have a plan.  I just .had.to.have.them. to make something ... anything .. for Lisa. 


I decided to make a quilt for their camper to use for all the sorts of things you'd use a quilt for on a camping trip.  Picnic blanket, chair pad, leg warmer on a chilly morning while drinking coffee by the creek, camp fire seating, table cover, pillow, etc, etc.  Well, my quilting is apparently not going to coincide with the yearly cycles very well (hence my autumnal brown and orange quilt that I finished this June while everyone else was breaking out the summer brights) because it would have been much nicer to give this to Lisa at the beginning of the season.  But I have no doubt they will be camping again this year and all of the next years coming up.  Lisa's birthday was last week so I kinda missed that target too but decided that quilt making/giving just can't be on a timetable. It's impossible.  Life is too unpredictable!

There's Lisa in her stylish sunglasses and capris!  All she is missing is her vodka tonic. 


I went with a snowball block (process post here) so I could showcase the larger scenes on some of the fabrics and Kona tomato for the accents and binding.  I wanted to give it a vintagy red theme since Lisa is a cool girl that loves stuff a little funky.   



14 comments:

  1. Love your quilt and fabric, front and back, great work and so fun to look at!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sew hip!!!!!!! Phenomenal job:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't this a fun fabric range and it looks great in that snowball pattern.....must try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt, Molly! Love the colors, the prints, the very cool backing and your embroidered message on the back! Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too cute - the quilting looks great and I love the vintagey lawn chairs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this quilt! Just the right design for a picnic quilt and I will bet they are just going to love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I have some of that camper fabric and it is just so much fun. Your snowball blocks are perfect; nice choice!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Molly - this turned out awesome! I can totally see using it out camping. And I so want some of that fabric with the metal lawn chairs. My grandparents had those when I was growing up. Great memories. I also just tried the snowball block myself on a recent project. Your tomato red corners really work well. Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic quilt !! Love the prints you've used, just darling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what bright colors! the fabric is really fun and i LOVE the back you did!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo, what fun fabric! That brings back some fond memories. Super cool fabric and I like your backing too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is Lisa-The-Camper and I just wanted to say I LOVE THIS QUILT!!! It is perfect, perfect, perfect for camping! God help the first person to get melted marshmallow on it....

    ReplyDelete
  13. cute!!! that fabric is amazing. and i love the pattern you used. nice work!

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E. comments! Due to a recent spam attack I've changed my settings to exclude anonymous commenters. I hope this doesn't affect any real people out there, but if so please feel free to email me.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...