Saturday, February 26, 2011

A tale of two baby quilts

Can you tell how cold it is from these pics?  Brrrrr .......
 After the holidays I was in a mood to use up some of my pink stash and practice hand quilting so I used nine fat quarters and made 36 crazy nine patch blocks.  Paired with some kona ash I made up two identical quilt tops pretty quickly.  The first one I used some hand dyed variegated perle cotton size 8 and made squares inside the gray blocks and one the second one I used white, pink and lilac in a grid pattern.  I definitely like the texture and the color accent of quilting with the perle cotton.   I think that I am going to use a combination of machine and hand quilting on the log cabin quilting I'm working on now. 



My sewing machine had to go into the shop for service so I got my old machine out but have apparently been spoiled by the luxury of needle up/down and a quiet whir as opposed to a loud vibrating clank.  I'm going to take a little break until my girl is back next week.  I miss her .....


17 comments:

  1. I like the grid pattern!

    I just started some handquilting on a large quilt and am having so much fun that I've entertained the idea of handquilting the whole dang thing.

    Until my hand got sore from all the stitchery. My machine doesn't complain as much from the workload so I'll have to stick with a half hand-quilted, half machine-quilted piece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE that last picture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Molly these are absolutely fantastic. I LOVE them! That grid quilting....absolutely inspired. And fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly,I love your quilts,quilting and photos. I would love to give those 9patches a try, they look like so much fun!! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Molly - your quilts are fantastic!!! Love the colors and of course the hand quilting ;) I am not sure winter will ever end! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving these photographs of your quilts in the snow. The grey looks so gorgeous in that blue light. I also agree about the hand quilting. That off-set plaid look is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Molly, Molly, Molly!! That's exactly what I want to do with my Asterisk quilt when I get brave enough to quilt it...now I know who to turn to when I have questions!!
    Awesome photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely handquilting, it just adds some extra colour and texture doesn't it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your quilts, beautiful colours and stitching. And you still have snow!!

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow you have done an awesome job. The quilts look great. Really they are so pretty.Really like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the hand quilting! I haven't developed the patience for it yet. Or in other words, I haven't even attempted it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. that handstitching is super sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. whoooooooaaaaaa....too chilly for me!!! I love the hand quilting on these and that version of a log cabin...

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are darling and I LOVE the hand quilting! Is your preference hand or machine quilting?

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E. comments! Due to a recent spam attack I've changed my settings to exclude anonymous commenters. I hope this doesn't affect any real people out there, but if so please feel free to email me.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...