Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sampler Quilt


I finished up the sampler quilt that I made this summer with Amy's quilt-a-long.  I worked on honing those ever useful quilting techniques of measuring, accurate 1/4" seams and trimming half square triangles with this quilt.    I always wanted a red and white quilt and now that I have one .... I want more! 



This is the first quilt I took to a long arm quilter to have professionally quilted.  It felt a little like cheating at first and I balked at spending money on it but I have to say that it came out beautifully and the cost really wasn't that much.  I found a great little shop right near my workplace and she was able to use the back I'd pieced and my batting and, most importantly, she didn't cringe or laugh at my points (or lack thereof).  I'd been pondering just how to quilt this and since I like to get old projects finished up before I start new ones it was really blocking me.  The back is kind of a mish-mash of my leftover pieces because I was desperately trying to just get enough together so I wouldn't have to buy any more fabric.  Sometimes I CAN be frugal ....

On to Christmas .....

Now I have to move the sewing machine and mat out of my "studio" and turn it back into the dining room for the holidays but that's OK.  I can still work on smaller projects and here are some felt mittens I'm working on for ornaments and gift tags.  These are fun to make up ahead of time and then embroider and finish while watching TV on the couch at night.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, your quilt is beautiful!! I don't have a sampler quilt but have always loved the look of them. The red and white is spectacular. And your mittens are adorable!! I have a lack of late evening telly things to do - this has inspired me to get out the felt and bits!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this quilt! I love the red and white - so traditional yet very fresh - great combo. Great job, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly, it is absolutely stunning. Congrats on the finish - and now *I* want a red and white quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful! I've been working on a red & white Irish Chain & I think it'll be the first quilt that I actually finish. I seem to have more fun collecting fabric & preparing blocks rather than getting a top done or quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Molly! You must be super pleased with the way it's turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! The reds are so rich. You did a wonderful job!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How is it that I love each one more than the last?! This one is a star!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your sampler quilt!! Red and white is the best! And the felt mittens, I love hanging mine on my Christmas tree each year! I'm secretly hoping for a new one this year! wink wink! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You sub-title your blog "my hopeful evolution as a quilter"
    After seeing this quilt I'd say you're there.
    This is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful sampler quilt! I started one myself the first of the year in a class. The borders need to be finished on the quilt top. Then of course there is the 3 B's, the backing and the basting and the binding to be done. Hopefully I can return to it after the Christmas gifts are made.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on finishing your red and white sampler! It looks so pretty blowing on the line. I have no problems taking things to the long arm quilter. They are so much better finished than living life as a top and who has time to hand quilt everything, anyway. Thanks for adding your quilt to the online exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sampler is great, I love 2 color quilts.

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E. comments! Due to a recent spam attack I've changed my settings to exclude anonymous commenters. I hope this doesn't affect any real people out there, but if so please feel free to email me.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...