Saturday, July 24, 2010

Our Favorite Walk

The assistant and I love the walk on the bank of the Erie Canal.  I sometimes take for granted that we live by this man made marvel but I never fail to notice the beauty on our walks.   The assistant even says it's lovely for a quick dip on a hot day, but I'll have to take her word on this. 

This year we started up again in early March when it was still empty.   The first day we walked I noticed a solitary white duck waaay down just floating around in the dirty puddles on the bottom.  I figured it was just a fluke and it was passing through.  It was still freezing at night and snowing many days but on and off we would walk on nice weekend days through March and April.  Every time I walked I noticed the duck all by himself.  I started calling him the solitary duck and I looked for him every time we were there.  I came to depend on seeing my little friend and I always wondered about him.  Why is he alone?  Is he a farm animal gone astray or a pet that was abandoned?  Does he like being alone? 

Two migrating geese stopped by one day this spring and he tenatively swam over to them and floated around in their company for a while.  I was so happy for him that day! 

It's the end of July now and he's still out there.  Now he has taken up with some wild brown ducks and their brood.  He looks so sleek and shiny and happy this summer.  I don't like to think of him wintering out there again ....

I'm leaving for vacation on Sunday so I'll leave you with some pictures from our favorite walk on the Erie Canal.  When I get back it will be August and my favorite time of summer will be beginning.  Ya know ... the end of summer when even though it's still hot out the nights start getting a little cooler and a little longer.  There is a slight change in the atmosphere and I keep saying, "I can smell fall in the air!"  Ahhhhh .....  pretty soon......it will be sewing weather again. 
This is my favorite picture of the solitary duck
Lots of Queen Anne's Lace out now
I'm so glad he has some friends now



Gratuitous picture of The Assistant carrying a big stick

My solitary duck in March. Doesn't he look lonely??


I've got a mule, and her name is Sal.
Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal.
She's a good old worker and a good old pal,
Fifteen miles on the Erie Canal.
We've hauled some barges in our day,
Filled with lumber, coal and hay,
And we know ev'ry inch of the way
From Albany to Buffalo.

Low bridge! Ev'rybody down!
Low bridge, 'cause we're coming to a town;
And you'll always know your neighbor,
You'll always know your pal,
If you've ever navigated on the Erie Canal.

7 comments:

  1. What a sweet story... I wonder if your solitary duck will still be there when you get back? hope you have a great time on hols!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just me, or does Jada's big stick keep getting BIGGER??! That shot of the solitary duck with his new friends is sweet. Hope your vacation is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lovely story about the white duck. You'll have to keep us updated now on his progress. Love the photo of your dog with the rather too large stick! Have a wonderful break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. Sweet post. =-)
    The one of Jada with the stick made me think of:
    "Walk softly and carry a big stick."

    =-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your pics of the duck! You have me totally wrapped up in his story now. Keep us posted. :)
    I would frame a duck photo if I were you. They're that cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're walking route sounds/looks so nice! I hope your duck sticks with his friends this winter. Have a wonderful vacation!

    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're walking route looks beautiful!

    I've given your blog an award...http://megjustsaying.blogspot.com/2010/08/bloggy-award.html

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E. comments! Due to a recent spam attack I've changed my settings to exclude anonymous commenters. I hope this doesn't affect any real people out there, but if so please feel free to email me.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...